Friday, October 1, 2010

Failed to find mac address 00:60:73:xx:xx:xx in the system interfaces table - 2

This is an update to my previous post - Failed to find mac address 00:60:73:xx:xx:xx in the system interfaces table - 1
First rule out that the Sonicwall device or your ISP provider is not blocking this traffic. You can enable packet capture on sonicwall device to see if the connection is being made or not or use a different machine in the same network to rule out ISP provider. In my case I was able to rule out both the above.
The way I was above to resolve this (managed to get sonicwall VPN client to work) is to uninstall the existing version of sonicwall client and then when reinstalling changed the directory path to a different folder other than C:\program Files\Sonicwall\XXXXXX.
The folder I used was C:\VPNClient and gave this folder full access to everyone. Also install the client as "Admin" , right clicking the EXE and choose "Run as Admin" option. Yes I was logged in as administartor initailly but when I ran filemon during the installation it was not able to edit the registry key even though I was logged in as the local administrator.
After the installation is done go to device manager and under Network select the virtual NIC and enable it before you configure the VPN client. And yes don't bother calling Sonicwall support. The guy I worked with was rude and hung up the ph on me LOL. He was frustrated he could not figure out the issue and started arguing with me saying how can I be sure that the firewall in not blocking the VPN traffic inspite of the firewall service being shutdown? I just did not know how to respond to that stupid question. I even volunteered to run wireshark but he would not listen.

Anyway I am not saying the above will resolve your issue but you can try and let me know if it works.

7 comments:

Torsten said...

I had the same issue and found a solution that worked for me. The SonicWall VPN Connection by default included several items which it might no need, including:
[x] Microsoft Network Monitor 3 Driver
[x] Sunbelt Software Firewall NDIS IM Filter
[x] VMware Bridge Protocal

I unselected them from the connection properties and everything works perfectly.

Anonymous said...

Dear Would you please let me know in which connection properties I should change?

GlobalITLinks said...

Hi open your Network connections and select the sonicwall adapter right click and select Properties.

Anonymous said...

This same problem has driven me crazy for 3 days and it is finally solved. This document gave me the hint I needed: http://www.sonicwall.com/downloads/GVC_Peer_is_Not_Responding_to_Phase_1_Requests.pdf in the "Behind Unfriendly Device" section.

My client was behind a D-Link router that was a NAT device. To solve, I went to the D-Link management page. Click Firewall Settings and the go to the bottom under Application Level Gateway (ALG) Configuration. Click the checkbox next to IPSec (VPN) and save settings. It immediately started working for this client.

Hopefully this helps someone down the line.

Anonymous said...

I was having the same issue on a Windows 7 64bit PC. It had been working for years and all of a sudden it stopped. I deleted and re-installed the latest GVC to no avail.
Run the cleanup tool and re-installed and still nothing. Finally what worked for me was to go into the SonicWall VPN Connection properties under Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections, and unchecked QoS Packet Scheduler. After that it worked again just fine.

Anonymous said...

For me, I had to uncheck Kaspersky Anti-Virus NDIS 6 Filter in the properties of the SonicWall VPN connector. And it was working fine the day before this bug. Thanks Torsten.

Anonymous said...

I know this article is a couple of years old, but it's still valid advice!

Thanks for the suggestion on checking device manager - I've been scratching my head on this for a while, and was very glad to stumble across your post.