Monday, July 25, 2011

Windows update Error 0x8007f004

Last week I had the need to bring in a Win 2003 server into my Win 2008 domain to support a legacy application that refuses to run on Win 2008 R2 server.
After building the server and adding it to the domain while applying the windows updates I got "Unable to apply the updates - Failed and Error 0x8007f004"
The primary reason for this is because administrators need to have permissions on the following policies
Local Policies > User Rights Assignment
1. Back up files and directories
2. Debug programs
3. Restore files and directories
4. Manage auditing and security log
5. Take ownership of files or other objects
In my case I updated permissions on group policy at domain level "Manage auditing and security log" for an issue I was having with SharePoint and mistakenly removed Administrator group and added "Domain admin" group.
Added back the Administrator group and the updates ran fine.

No comments: